FASHION & LIFE STYLE

1/27/2012

Thoughts on DIY.

Here's my thoughts on DIYs. 

When designing a room (on a budget...discarding millionaires) people often spend the money in the wrong place. A place where you can actually save money is the furniture.   You can find an incredible neutral colored vintage sofa for $200. That sofa could often be the saver of the budget so you can spend the larger portion on textiles, drapes, THE RUG or reupholstering AND ACCESSORIES 

We've all done it ( I know I have ), bought a department store sofa that usually starts at $700 and isn't that fabulous. For examples when microfiber/faux leather sofa's were all the rage (really?... did I use the word rage) Anyway, trying to design a tasteful room with one of those (to me) is like a big neon green elephant standing in a room.

I always suggest spending a good amount of money on accessories, even though your think spending $100+ on a sunburst mirror sucks, it creates the rooms quality. I always buy vintage or try using Ebay!

People spend a ton of time and little money recreating their dream accessories which isn't horrible ( good for you! )  just sometimes the quality of the room is compromised. 

Don't get me wrong I'm the queen of trying out a new DIY because when it's great it saves a lot of money.... but, do I always keep it in my home? Sometimes I do, most of the time I don't. Like I actually tried to re-create this brass knot by Kelly Wearstler. It was a no go. Seriously that thing is harder to make then it looks. I'm going to give it another go trying another technique... well, see. My nail head lack hack I liked, thought that one was a winner. 

When people are successful at a DIY and it almost is flawless I get SO excited. Example, the RAST hack is popular because the quality looks fab! I've also seen some wallpaper covered tables that look out of this world.

So here is my new favorite DIY. It looks amazing, I want one...




No comments:

Post a Comment